Friday, September 14, 2012

Bragg- Examining Pathways to and through the Community College

The article talked about the American Graduation Initiative (AGI), and I struggled with this article because of my own personal beliefs with community colleges.  I have known so many not know what they wanted to do, so they went to community college to figure it out with plans on getting a four-year degrees.  Years later, some have their associates, some went on to a four-year school, but most did not achieve either of these.  Community colleges certainly do serve a purpose for more adult learners who need more flexibility with degree programs (most times-- their expectations and end games are different), but I personally do not see the counseling and help at the community college level to get people to four-year degrees.

I know I am making some very large, overarching arguments, and I hope and know there are certainly exceptions, but I would rather see more focused on four-year degrees than community colleges. Financial aid is available just a much to students from lower SES to go to a four-year school than a community college.  Yes, a little more expensive for a four-year school, but I think the value added is there.  Seen on pg. 355, it says that community college will provide more access and credentials.  I disagree- many more access, but I do not think it will add more degrees (associates or otherwise) at the end of the day.

On the other hand, I think the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) is great idea to provide skillets and employ-ability to workers through trade classes and literacy/adult education work.  Pg. 360 discusses how important literacy is for better wages, standard of living, etc.

Another piece of the article talks about dual enrollment and how it will help everyone have access to college. I think this is false.  Dual enrollment is only available in schools once other courses have been exhausted, and it normally put aside for the top achieving students.  If students do not complete courses satisfactorily at the high school level, how can they then move on to dual-enrollment?  I do not believe they can.  The article states that dual enrollment will help prepare students more for college, but if they don't have the basics, taking classes at a community college will not be beneficial.  Community colleges can be a good collaborator for high schools, but the population taking advantage of dual enrollment are not the students who have difficulties with college access.  I do not think this is a viable solution.

I did like the discussion on pg. 384 about bridge programs. I think that is a tremendous idea to help students, and not just a bridge over the summer but one that continues and follows students with a  mentoring program throughout their time in college.  I look at programs like Posse and One Voice and see how successful they are as outside entities, and I believe that higher ed can emulate successfully to help students who normally may not have college access be successful and feel supported en route to their degree.




1 comment:

  1. You point out some of the assumptions in the article and begin to bring a four-year college lens to the context too. The type of completion rates proves the assumptions about place of start of college and completion. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete