Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Class Reflection


Sometimes I think my focus is too narrow.  I started with a narrow college perspective and now it’s a little like all I know is law school….

The above is the only thing I have written in my word doc notes (I have more notes in the power point and on the group worksheet).  I leave class each week wanting to learn more and wishing I had access to more.  I know I do have access, but there's always the excuse of time-- I need to make time.  So right now, unfortunately, I'm adding it to the list.

When we were discussing contemporary issues, funding stood out to me, particularly with being at the law school (sometimes I feel like we're the ugly step-sister of main campus, particularly after sitting through meetings that we aren't paying enough for electricity, and we owe main campus more when I feel like the services provided to us from main campus--particularly if our requests are mostly on back burners- are not equal to what we are paying in return).  I though Virginia was bad, but there are certainly worse places.
--WM- 12% state funded, CO- 4% state funded (CO also had a huge program with vouchers, moving from public into private good realm)

Other challenges– organizational climate and pressures for accountability
-- Doing more with less
--Look at fowler chapter on implementation--- Resistance is a HUGE piece…almost it take more time to resist than to change.
--Assume certain things about learning, make assumptions that may/may not be true.  How do you even catch these assumptions to rethink and restructure what you are doing?
--If you are a new leader, how are you able to create space for creativity and safety in that space to come up with something new?  One of the challenges– how do we do this? I see this with my work.  My boss (who is wonderful and has been in her job for 30+ years) hired younger staff for new ideas, and I was excited for that.  Now, however, not much has been changed in the year I have been there due to resistance.  It can be frustrating, but part of it is taking baby steps.

It’s important to include people that have ideas that are different than yours (maybe even you don’t like….).  Transparency is also a big thing– let people know what you are doing.  This is something that Pam said that stood out to me-- yes, I should include people who have different opinions than me and really listen-- not let it go in one ear and out the other! :)

How do we help each other out?  We don’t know because we’re so focused on ourselves.
Always be able to ask
-who’s at the table?
-power sources?
-What are we assuming?
START with these and other things/assumptions will show up 



P.S.  Seat update-- I LOVED my seat this week.  I sat on the left side of the room and having teachers in the group was fantastic.  We had wonderful conversations in the class discussion that were inclusive of all members.  It was awesome-- I learned so much from this group and felt like I added a lot of value as well.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing what a change of place in class can do for you! As most people don't change seats, they end up with others that are familiar before long. I like how you are trying to see the links with the theory and your current position. A concern over being too narrow is a good one to keep in mind--as this can happen!

    ReplyDelete